Oz-e-maths Supplementary Materials for Connecting Maths Concepts Years F-5
Top-ups and Swap-outs for Currency and Measurement - Year 1
Top-ups and Swap-outs for Currency and Measurement - Year 1 is a Mathematics unit for Year 1 students. It works in cooperation with Connecting Maths Concepts (CMC) to ensure that delivery of CMC aligns with Australian Curriculum gap requirements:
- Recognise, describe and order Australian coins according to their value (ACMNA017).
- Identify outcomes of familiar events involving chance and describe them using everyday language such as ‘will happen’, ‘won’t happen’ or ‘might happen’ (ACMSP024).
- Measure and compare the lengths and capacities of pairs of objects using uniform informal units (ACMMG019).
- Tell time to the half-hour (ACMMG020).
- Describe duration using months, weeks, days and hours (ACMMG021).
- Use mathematical modelling to solve practical problems involving additive situations, including simple money transactions; represent the situations with diagrams, physical and virtual materials, and use calculation strategies to solve the problem (AC9M1N05).
- Identify change of familiar events.
- Justify chance of familiar events.
- Identify possible/impossible events.
- Identify certain and possible events.
In the Swap-Outs, students learn to:
- identify and count Australian coins and notes
- apply ruler skills to measure length
- use a ruler to count backwards
- solve comparison word problems.
- Identify outcomes of familiar events involving chance.
- Describe everyday events using language such as ‘will happen’, ‘won’t happen’, or ‘might happen’.
- Use a ruler to count backwards.
- Demonstrate simple money transactions.
- Mastery Tests are given at the end of every 10 lessons, designed to be taught over a two-week cycle. Mastery Tests allow teachers to monitor student understanding of the concepts taught in previous lessons and identify where reteaching is needed.
- The Teaching Guide contains the Mastery Test script. Mastery Tests are delivered using a presentation script, board displays and a handout for students. The Teaching Guide also contains the Answer Key.
- There are two Cumulative Tests for Swap-Outs that are completed after lesson 60 and lesson 120.
- Teachers copy the assessment and distribute to students at testing time.
Edit: Peer Feedback
Subscribe to our newsletter now!
Get weekly updates on live streams, news and more right in your mailbox.
Do not miss!
Are you enjoying the teaching resources?
Click here to share free access with your school team.